Nothing better than warm cinnamon rolls. And these are topped with delicious cream cheese icing. Pair with a cup of coffee for a perfect treat.
For the Dough
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 2 1/4 teaspoons of active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 cup warm butter milk
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup of oil
- 4 – 4 1/2 cups all purpose flour
For the Filling
- 1 stick of unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 cup brown sugar
For the Cream Cheese Icing
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Combine warm water, yeast and 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer with hook attachment. Combine and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Add egg, oil, butter milk, salt and sugar to yeast mixture and combine.
- Add two cups of flour and mix on low until incorporated, then add 1/2 a cup of flour at a time until 4-4 1/2 cups total are added. The dough with be slightly sticky.
- Knead dough with hook attachment on medium speed for 5 minutes.
- Place dough in an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Allow to rise in a warm place for 1-2 hours.
- After the dough has risen butter two 9 inch cake pans and set aside.
- Soften the butter and them mix in the other filling ingredients to form a paste.
- Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface to 1/4 inch thick rectangle. Spread filling on dough and roll into a log.
- Cut into 1 1/2 inch sections, should yield 12-14 sections.
- Place in prepared pans and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise again for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and place uncovered pans in the oven. Bake for 15-18 minutes.
- While baking begin making icing. Cream room temperature butter and cream cheese in a stand mixer until fluffy. Add vanilla and lemon juice. Then add powdered sugar, start mixer on low until incorporated then mix on high speed for 5 minutes.
- Once cinnamon rolls are baked top with icing while still hot. Best enjoyed warm.
Leave a Reply