A kid friendly recipe that also speaks to the nostalgic adult. The recipe incorporates flaxseed, coconut palm sugar and chia seeds for a healthier take on a classic kid favorite.
- 2 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup flax seed meal
- 2 tablespoons coconut palm sugar
- 14 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yokes
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup strawberry preserves
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 cup sifted powder sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- Splash of vanilla extract
- Combine flour, flax meal, salt, and coconut sugar into a food processor bowl and pulse to blend.
- Add 14 tablespoons of cold butter cut into cubes and pulse until it resembles sand.
- Combine two egg yokes and 1/2 cup cold water in a measuring cup. Add half to the food processor and pulse till a dough ball forms. If dough is try slowly add the remaining egg/water mixture.
- Refrigerate dough in plastic wrap for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats. Roll dough out on a floured surface to a 1/8 of an inch thick.
- Cut into and even number of rectangles or use medium sized cookie cutters.
- Place half of the dough pieces on the pans and top with a tablespoon of the filling then top with the remaining dough pieces.
- Crimp edges with a fork and poke holes in the center of each pastry to allow steam to escape. Then brush with egg wash ( 1 egg beaten with 2 tablespoons of water).
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack. While cooling mix the glaze ingredients and when pastries are cooled top with glaze and sprinkles.
- Use sandwich cutters for the dough, they have a crimper with them that easily seals the dough.
Leave a Reply